Saggy eyelids can be an inevitable effect of aging, leaving you looking tired and even older than you are. Fortunately, a popular and fairly simple surgical procedure can remove excess skin and give you a more youthful appearance.
Eyelid lift surgery, called blepharoplasty, typically removes excess skin, muscle and sometimes fat from the upper (and/or lower) eyelids. Depending on your individual issues, we might not need to remove muscle, only excess skin. And many patients need the procedure performed on both their upper and lower eyelids.
Blepharoplasty is a popular solution when the upper eyelid begins to sag and may be performed on patients in their early 40s. However, sagging upper eyelids not only age your face, but they can also impair your peripheral vision as you age. And blepharoplasty can turn back the hands of time as well as help improve your vision.
As we get older, our sagging eyelids can become a safety issue. Though not a life-threatening condition, for seniors it can make normal daily activities difficult and even dangerous.
The procedure can be medically necessary
Your insurance provider will have requirements that must be met before blepharoplasty can be considered medically necessary, and therefore, a covered procedure. Here are some signs that may indicate your sagging eyelids are more than a detriment to your appearance:
- You have difficulty reading, using your computer and watching TV
- Your eyelids can become so heavy, it’s difficult to open them
- You have irritation from excess folds of eyelid skin rubbing together
- You have frequent headaches from overworking the eyebrows, forehead and surrounding muscles
- Injuries from bumping into things you can’t see
Upper, lower or both, eyelid surgery could be right for you
If you have droopy eyelids and/or under-eye bags, blepharoplasty could be the solution. Here are some basic facts:
- The procedure takes about one to three hours
- The typical outcomes can include more youthful- and rested-looking eyes, tighter eyelid skin and improved peripheral vision
- The final results can be seen in about four to six weeks
Schedule a consultation
If you are interested in learning more please call call (800) VRS-2500, to schedule a consultation at one of our locations in Minneapolis, St. Paul, Blaine, Edina, Oakdale, Plymouth, St. Cloud and Duluth.